1 cup Chickpea flour (besan)
a pinch of Asafetida
1/8 tbsp turmeric powder
1/8 tbsp chile powder
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
4 tablespoons Greek yogurt or 1 egg (optional)
3 pints water for boiling the spaghetti
1 tablespoon oil & a generous teaspoon of sea salt.
For the seasoning
2 tablespoons grape seed oil
4-6 curry leaves
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1-2 green chilis
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
2 tablespoon fresh grated coconut
- Sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and one tablespoon of the greek yogurt. Using a silicone spatula, mix the ingredients together, adding the remaining Greek yogurt in installments. Fold and combine until the flour turns into a thick sticky, tacky dough . If using egg then add 1-2 tbsp water to make dough.
- Heat the water & bring to a boil, adding the salt & oil. In the meantime, prepare the dressing as described below.
- Combine the lemon & sugar in a small mixing bowl. Heat the grape seed oil in a skillet. When it begins to simmer, add the mustard seeds & allow to sputter.
- Add the sesame seeds followed by the minced green chile. Once the sesame seeds begin to pop & just barely turn color, remove from heat & allow to cool completely. Add the sesame, chile & mustard oil to the citrus & whisk into an emulsion. add the cilantro and set aside until the noodles get done.
- Using an extruder press, press out the dough directly into the boiling water. The dough will first sink & then float. Adjust the heat to a gentle boil and allow the pasta to cook. (6 minutes for the pappardelle ribbons, 8 minutes for the spaghetti).
- Remove the noodles with a spider skimmer & gently shake off any excess water. Add the noodles to a large mixing bowl and drizzle the citrus sesame dressing. Toss gently to coat the noodles. Transfer to a plate and garnish with the shredded fresh coconut. Serve immediately.
Note- you can make different colors khandvi by adding spinach+cilantro+ food color in yoghurt while making green color or tomato paste+ beet paste for red color which i use to make red khandvi